CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

if you're wondering if I want you to

I wanted to write a post about how excited I am for this weekend, how happy I am that September is over and October is here. I wanted to write about how I can't wait to know what my birthday present from Paul is because everyone but me knowing is just killing me, when it wouldn't bother me if no one knew. I wanted to write about how we're finally winning games in volleyball or about how I can't wait for the 22nd/23rd/24th because of the concert and (hopefully) going to Greenville. But I can't pretend.

I can't do anything. I can't breathe, I can't stop breathing, I can't make it through an entire day without forcing back tears. This has been, I think, the hardest year of my life. And I say that in all honesty, not in wanting to complain, or to whine, or to say that I deserve any better. I'm also not saying that nothing good has happened. Because it has. Trust me, I realize I'm lucky. But I also realize that I can't just have something good without having something equally bad to go with it. To top it all off, I'm so stressed. I put all my effort into having carefree moments where I can just get lost in what I'm doing or who I'm with and forget, even for the smallest second, all the bad in my life. It's hard to keep going when all I want to do is sit down and watch the world pass by. It's impossible to keep pretending I'm okay, but it's also impossible to say I'm not, when that isn't entirely true. I don't want people to look at me with pity and worry in their eyes, because I only have bad moments, not a bad life.

Half of my day today was spent somewhere else. My mind was gone from the present. I was thankful for the dark of Mrs. Heinemann's classroom when we watched the movie, so that no one could see how hard I was struggling to not let the tears run down my face. I was texting Paul and I couldn't handle the conversation. Not in public, not at all. I'm not strong enough. I'm too weak to deal. I just wanted to go to the next room and have him hug me. I hate when he knows I'm upset because he's so freaking perfect that he always knows what to say, which makes it harder. He can always get directly to the point and cause of my distress. I love him for that, but feeling so vulnerable is hard.

I'm not the type to regret. I know that every mistake I've made and everything that has happened to me just shaped me into the person I am, and I very well could have turned out a terrible person if things had gone differently. Regret is only for those who blame themselves too much or deny they share any of the blame. But I do wish the results could be different, sometimes. Like now, I wish I could go back to the way things were 6 months ago. Things weren't easy, they weren't perfect, but I didn't sit in spanish class with my palms pressed to my eyes wishing I could just take 2 weeks off from life. When Kristen was trying to help, to make things better, to give me a hug before lunch today I told her this. I told her I wanted the pain to go away. I told her I wanted to go to a time before this summer when I could just breathe and be happy. She said that things had to happen and that I shouldn't wish for something like that. I told her I knew that, and that I didn't regret, but that I hadn't thought life would fall apart so completely. She knows what I mean.

In the last year:
my dad walked back into my life (but only for a moment and to send me birthday checks)
my sister walked out of my house (and my life)
I spent too many nights crying because I could hear an argument in the other room
A close friend went through hell in a relationship and I wasn't sure how to be there to help when I didn't want her there to begin with
People I'm around think to little of themselves
I've been losing my best friend

Heather


I want you to

2 pairs of penny loafers:

Caroline said...

I hate this.

When I was reading the majority of this post, I didn't even really know what you were talking about, what you meant- more specifically, what had happened to make you so upset. But that made it so much more painful to read- the fact that I couldn't even try do anything to help, and that I'm so distanced from you and you from me that we don't know what's happening to each other. and by the time I reached the last sentence, I already had that about-to-cry feeling in my mouth and the back of my eyes.

I'm sorry this year has been so hard for you. Honestly, it's been my worst year too. For different reasons, except for that last one, which is exactly the same.

I feel incredibly helpless here. It's so stupid. I feel like I'm losing you, you feel like you're losing me. And neither of us want that. So why is it happening? How do we fix it? Because I want to. I need to.

I miss you.
Caroline

Heather said...

I don't know. I just don't know. I'm trying so hard but I feel like I'm losing every one of you. Especially you. And you're the one I'll miss the most if I truly do.