CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Savior--part 3

final post of my story/novel:

₪ ₪ ₪

I step over the threshold. The music is blaring. Everyone has at least one partner. Girl or boy, just someone. Some have more. I, however, am left in eternal solitude. Left to wander alone and just hear scraps of other people’s conversations and never to have my own.

One girl’s voice stands out to me as I walk past the stairs. She is saying, “You need a new purse I’m tired of that one.”

I miss what the girl she is talking to says but I can hear the first girl’s laugh. It carries through the air over the music.

Other pieces of conversations reach me. Three girls are standing by the refrigerator, talking fast about a trip they are going on in a week. I think they are going to Disney World. I wish I could go with them. Be a part of their group. I’ve never been to Disney World.

I turn the corner into the living room and see two girls who seem just as alone as I am, except together—if that makes sense. One is writing in a little notebook that she has just pulled out of her over-large bag and the other is sitting next to her reading and occasionally glancing at what the other is writing.

They might be nothing like me, but their solitude makes me feel connected to them somehow. At the same time, I know I’m nothing like them. They have each other. I’m left with no one.

I’m not usually interested in joining conversations with people I don’t know, but anybody would do right now.

I make it through the entire house—upstairs and down, front yard and back—one and a half times. I turn to go—

“Hi.”

Is he talking to me?

“Hello?”

God, he must be. He’s looking right at me. Looking right at me with those gorgeous golden-brown eyes. Now that I see them up close, I see that they look like caramel. They even look like they are melting.

“Hi,” I manage to mutter. He doesn’t hear me and I can tell he’s debating whether or not to leave.

“Hi,” I say louder. He hears this time. His eyes smile.

“I’m Charlie. Brown. Charlie Brown,” he says grinning. I can’t help but laugh.

“Well, my names nothing that great, but I think it’s something special. I’m Piper Sutton,” I say. I reach out and grab his outstretched hand. Nobody shakes hands anymore.

“Piper’s a good name. I think it’s special, too. Uncommon. Not common.” He repeats things a lot. It’s cute.

I find myself staring at his mouth when he talks. It turns out, his eyes aren’t his only amazing feature. The curve of his smile, the shape of his lips, the way his teeth fit together perfectly. They are all perfect.

And it’s surprisingly easy for me to talk to him. I’ve never been able to talk to a guy. Okay, so I’ve been able to talk to the outcasts that sit at my lunch table, but that’s different. They’re not hot guys. Not like him. Not like Charlie. Charlie. What a wonderful name.

“You go to Waccamaw, don’t you?” he asks, interrupting my thoughts about him. I don’t mind.

“Yea…unfortunately,” I say, sighing. He gives a little laugh.

“I know. I’ve been here for one day and I already hate it. Hate it. But it’s getting better every second.”

My heart flutters. I can’t breathe. I really can’t breathe. Someone bumps up against me and the air comes back into my lungs. But then, I fall into him and he catches me, and my breath is gone again.

His arms are so warm. I want to stay there forever, but he stands me back up. My face is hot, and, looking up into his eyes, I feel goose bumps crawl up my arms.

Take a deep breath.

I do. The new air is helping. It’s washing out the embarrassment. Slowly I become normal again. I can breathe. I’m not shaking anymore.

We continue talking for hours. I don’t actually leave the party until almost midnight. He drives me home since I don’t have a car and Anna left me. I would normally hate her right now, but I love her.

Sitting in his car is perfect. It feels right. The whole ride is comfortable—besides my unsteady heart—and much different from the ride to the party. He is much better than Anna.

Going home feels awful now, whereas before I met Charlie, it would have felt amazing. Charlie is my savior. I’ve never believed in love at first sight before, but it must be something similar to that feeling I had when I looked into his eyes. Something similar to seeing him. To seeing Charlie.


End of chapter. End of posts. Begging for comments. This is the one I'm sending in. I've decided.

♥Heather

3 pairs of penny loafers:

Caroline said...

It's Charlie. Brown. Charlie Brown. :D Wow. I love this. The conversation between them is cute, and I love the beginning, with her commentary about the party and it's various occupants. The Disney World thing struck me, somehow- it has a poignancy to it, because it shows more of the lack of perfect happy family vibes. Disney World is such a perfect happy family place, obviously. And I laughed out loud where you mentioned me and my giant bag full of writing stuff, but I would have loved those few lines even if I wasn't in on it, same with the Disney World thing- Btw, i liked that better than when Courtney and Allison were Shallow Girls #1 and #2.
I'm glad you're sending this one in. It's gorgeous and I love it!
and you! :D
Caroline

emilea said...

it's good. it's good, i like it. i like the introduction, it's nice. do you read meg cabot? it reminds me a bit of her. her and someone else... i'll think of it later when it's too late.

you and caroline, actually. both of you write like meg cabot. caroline has a libra bray/sarah dessen hue to it though. surreal, and yet in front of you.

but i'm not talking about that. i'm talking about you writing like meg cabot with a...every read Tropical Kiss? look it up, because that's who you write like. okay, back to business.

love it. it's comfortable. like, it doesn't feel distant and on edge, like it's a hot fudge sundae sliding down your throat. it's comfortable. and sweet.

but in a conversation between them going into the car. like "oh, well, anna's gone." and then show him chivalry offering to drive her home. just to get more than a sketch of who charlie is.

charlie brown. that's fabulous. does he try to kick footballs??

*smile*

emilea

Caroline said...

Emilea is amazing for saying that I write like three of my favorite authors ever.
Emilea is amazing in general!
And so are you!
:D
:D
love
Caroline